Sunday, April 10, 2016

Here's my telephone number.

At World Market, looking for "Ritter" german chocolate, I stumbled upon a pop tent for Ilyas's birthday; grabbed "The Story About Ping" and "Blueberries for Sal", books for birthday number 3,
and remembered the wrapping paper.

"I came back for more of this chocolate", I remarked to the woman. She replied that cornflakes in chocolate tasted real good. Trusting, I shared about Ilyas's birthday and the accordion that I was contemplating, as a gift. The woman said, "Mom will not be happy with you",  and to go with the pop tent.  Feeling that we had hit it off, I wandered off to ponder the Indonesian day bed, and as fate would have it, met up with the woman at check-out.

She showed me her bottled beets and sauerkraut which she liked for their probiotic properties. Excited that she liked me, I told her that I brewed Kombucha, a fermented tea, and asked if she wanted my phone number to call me "about how to brew Kombucha".

I left the store thinking that I reached out to a new friend. Why not reach out to a guy in the same warm manner? Could I be warm and friendly to a guy, or would this be looked at as too forward? Looked at by whom? The guy, or me?  If I could volunteer my phone number to a woman, why not to a guy?


No comments:

Post a Comment